DIY Blanket Ladder

  • DIY
  • May 20, 2017

This project was one of my easiest and most satisfying projects to date. I found the wood for 79¢ a piece and only needed 3 pieces, so it was super cheap too. Two of the pieces I was able to use at full size, so I didn’t even have to cut them. And, finally, the aged wood technique was a lot simpler than I expected, so I felt like it came out really well.

I used three 1×2-inch kiln-dried furring strips that were 4 feet long.

Like I said, I used two of the three pieces at full length and I had Nano cut the third piece into thirds (three 16-inch pieces) for the rungs.

To get the aged look, I first started by staining all the pieces dark brown (Minwax, Dark Walnut).

Then, I used white paint (a sample container of primer from Walmart, about $2) and a dry wide paintbrush. I poured a small amount of paint onto the lid and sort of just dabbed the brush in it so that the brush only had a little bit of paint, then very lightly brushed it across the wood so that a certain amount of the dark stain would still show through. 

Then I assembled everything and nailed the rungs to the side pieces. It was a little wobbly, so I added a second nail to the backside where each piece was attached.

Here’s the final product:

 

 

This will be going in the baby’s room, since I’m guessing I’ll end up with lots of blankets and nowhere to keep them.

20 April 2017
22 May 2017

RELATED POSTS

LEAVE A COMMENT